Alejandro’s focus is on developing design projects that mark an immediate difference in contemporary issues. By having a familial background in Medicine and by being born in a developing country, his main objective is reaching solutions that directly impact a demographic’s basic needs. The form of the designs is shaped by his close relation to Ecuador’s traditional methods and aesthetics, influenced by his experience in social design and love of woodworking.
Pratt Institute 2016 - 2019
MID Industrial Design: Product Design
Emily Carr University of Art + Design 2011 - 2015
BDes Industrial Design: Industrial and Product Design
Freelance Design for AGUIRRE DESIGN September 2018 - November 2018
• Design and production drawing development of high-end custom furniture pieces.
• In charge of furniture ideation, 3D modeling and rendering.
Freelance Design for IGLOOPLAY FURNITURE May 2018 - September 2018
• Design and production development of hospitality modular furniture exhibited at ICFF 2018.
• In charge of furniture ideation, production drawings, 3D modeling and rendering.
Internship at PARTS & LABOR DESIGN June 2018 - August 2018
• FF&E Department intern, initially involved in development of presentation layouts & project specs.
• Development and revision of production drawings of custom furniture and lighting pieces.
• Design of public space furniture pieces for hospitality interior design clients.
Freelance Design and Branding for SAN FRANCISCO UNIVERSITY September 2015 - January 2016
• Design and branding development for electronic medical dispenser project for
San Francisco University of Quito’s medical clinic Sistemas Médicos “SIME”.
• In charge of production of final functioning prototype, logo and visuals.
Internship at CARDÀNAS May 2014 - June 2014
• Design and development of studio workspace at Cardànas Ecuadorian shoe company.
• Designing for future manufacturing utilizing minimum budget and material.
Internship at MOBILIER July 2013 - August 2013
• Design and Development Department intern at Mobilier Ecuadorian furniture company.
• In charge of ideation, designing, 3D modeling and rendering of custom furniture.
Internship at ADRIANA HOYOS May 2012 - June 2012
• Innovation and Development Department intern at AHCorp International furniture company.
• In charge of furniture 3D modeling and stock material data base for digital customization.
2018 WNYC News - AMĪ CAM
2018 Gothamist News - AMĪ CAM
2018 NYCxDESIGN WANTED DESIGN: The Antigua Project - CHAKANA
Exhibit of unique hand fabricated furniture and textiles collection. Each year since 2015 a group of designers led by Pratt Institute’s “The Antigua Project”, travel to Guatemala to collaborate with local artisans.
2019 NYCxDESIGN: Student Design Showcase Talks - INTERWOVEN
Annual “Student Design Showcase Night” hosted at Parson’s School of Design. Featuring leading design students from 5 different schools including Parsons, SVA, Pratt Institute, FIT, and Cooper Union.
2019 DUBAI DESIGN WEEK: GLOBAL GRAD SHOW - INTERWOVEN
An exhibition of social impact innovation from graduate students across the world at Dubai Design Week.